March 20, 2014
Stories such as this, go some way towards illustrating that the Parthenon is more than just another ancient monument – it holds a larger symbolism for many within Greece & internationally.
Perhaps a similar event should be organised on a regular basis to highlight the plight of the Marbles? People have previously suggested that the anniversary of the opening of the Acropolis Museum becomes Parthenon Day. Perhaps we could organise people to encircle both the British Museum & Acropolis Museum simultaneously on that day to show the unity of the two sites? Who’s interested?
Kids to Hug Acropolis for Anti-Racism Day
by Abed Alloush – Mar 19, 2014
2,500 children will form a human chain round the Parthenon on Friday March 21 to mark International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination. Their motto will be “We hug the Acropolis, We hug democracy, We hug humanity.”
Organized by the Greek Ministry of Justice, children of different nationalities and people with special needs will sing and release colorful balloons into the sky to sending a message “of a peaceful and creative co-existence of all human beings, without any racial discrimination.”
The Acropolis museum will later host an event featuring work by celebrated artists including Antonis Remos, Dimitris Mpasis, Melina Kana, Melina Aslanidou, Sonia Theodoridou and the director, Giannis Smaragdis, as well as from children of the Paladion primary school. The event will be attended by President of the Greek Republic Karolos Papoulias and by Charalambos Athanasiou and Konstandinos Arvanitopoulos, ministers of justice and education, respectively.
- Human chain around the Parthenon : March 24, 2014
- Human chain to raise awareness for Parthenon Marbles : February 1, 2007
- Building the New Acropolis Museum – a children’s book by Greek Australian Niki Dollis : October 25, 2010
- Greek children campaign for return of Parthenon Marbles : January 31, 2007
- Greek President addresses UNESCO conference : October 19, 2007
- New Acropolis Museum event in Washington : June 7, 2009
- Students protest over Parthenon marbles : February 1, 2007
- Old documents reveal new details of the history of the Elgin Marbles : March 22, 2012