March 27, 2007
On Monday, the Acropolis was formally proclaimed as the pre-eminent monument on the European Cultural Heritage list of monuments. Culture Minister George Voulgarakis took the opportunity to mention the Parthenon Marbles, reflecting that it presents Britain with a unique opportunity to put right a “historical error”.
Athens News Agency
Acropolis proclaimed top European Cultural Heritage Monument
The Acropolis was formally proclaimed as the pre-eminent monument on the European Cultural Heritage list of monuments during a special ceremony atop the celebrated hill in the heart of Athens on Monday, in the presence of Greek President Karolos Papoulias and Athens Mayor Nikitas Kaklamanis.
Culture Minister George Voulgarakis and his French counterpart Renaud Donnedieu de Vabres also unveiled a plaque bearing the special distinction.
“The Acropolis represents the civilisation shared by all people,” Voulgarakis said, adding that the monument also preserves collective memory.
Referring to the return of the Parthenon Marbles, he stressed that it is up to the British government to correct a “historical error” and restore the harmony of one of the greatest monuments of humanity.
On his part, de Vabres, a moving force behind the initiative, stressed that “this is the birthplace of the European civilisation”, referring to the Acropolis and the surrounding archaeological sites.
Earlier, the two culture ministers signed a memorandum of cooperation between Greek and French museums to combat the illicit trade in antiquities and illegal excavations.
- A common European cultural agenda : November 19, 2007
- The transfer of artefacts to the New Acropolis Museum : May 31, 2007
- British politicians tour New Acropolis Museum site : March 18, 2007
- More on the UN resoltion for return of cultural property : December 6, 2006
- Voulgarakis speaks on the return of the Elgin Marbles : August 8, 2006
- David Hill meets new Greek Culture Minister to discuss Parthenon Sculptures : October 4, 2007
- Greek Prime Minister tours completed New Acropolis Museum site : May 18, 2009
- Evangelos Venizelos speaks out on Parthenon Marbles issue : April 17, 2014