July 29, 2009
The British Museum regularly highlights the fact that their exhibits can be viewed free of charge, but rarely enters into any serious discussion of the actual merits of this.
It appears that many people are not in complete agreement over benefits of free entry.
There is no such thing as a free exhibition about the Zutons
Letters, July 28: The deluded notion of free museums
Published: 12:01AM BST 28 Jul 2009
SIR – If Michael Cattell (Letter, July 27) believes that entry to museums is free, he is sadly deluded.
Every penny given to museums is taken from individuals or employers through taxation.
At a time when companies are making people redundant, there is a major question mark over the morality of increasing the pressures on businesses and families so that people in Liverpool can have concerts and exhibitions on the music of the Zutons.
If people enjoy these exhibitions, then let those who want them and who live close enough to visit them, pay for them out of their own pockets.
Whitley Bay, Northumberland
SIR – Having spent Saturday afternoon at the British Museum, I am concerned that museums may become a victim of their own success. The popular rooms were crowded, with bottlenecks created by groups stopping to take photographs.
The staffing levels do not appear to be sufficient either to keep all the rooms open (and some real treasures were inaccessible as a result) or to ensure that visitors did not inadvertently cause wear and tear that could be irreversible.
It is right that the national collections should be freely accessible, but the funding levels need to be sufficient to cope with the demand.
- The benefits (or otherwise) of free museum admission : September 29, 2009
- The British museum, Free admission & the Parthenon Marbles : March 12, 2013
- The issues with free museum entry in the UK : April 18, 2012
- Is it time to re-consider the importance of free museum admission : October 27, 2011
- Is it really of benefit to the UK culture sector to have free museum admission? : March 29, 2012
- Is having free admissions to museums more important than all else? : November 11, 2010
- Greek museum visitor numbers increase in 2014 : November 15, 2014
- Free admission and no deaccessioning – holy cows for Britain’s national museums? : January 14, 2011