March 4, 2013
200 years of Life in London – being part of the Elgin Marbles, as told by a Caryatid from the Erechtheion
Dennis Menos, secretary of the International Association for the Reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures & also a member of Americans for the return of the Parthenon Sculptures has published a new book. Purview:Her View tells the story of the removal of the Parthenon Marbles by Lord Elgin – but, as seen from the perspective of the one Caryatid, which is housed in the British Museum, 1000 miles away from her five sisters in Athens.
This highly informative and entertaining work of historical fiction focuses on the life and times of the Karyatis (Caryatid) statue, presently in the British Museum and of her longing to return home to the Acropolis. Presented in a series of vignettes spanning 2,400 years of Hellenic history, the story of the Karyatis makes for fascinating reading, beginning with the age when twelve Gods ruled the world from on top of Mount Olympus, to the day in 1802 when the statue was removed from her temple by Lord Elgin’s crew and was shipped to London. In the intervening years, the Karyatis was eyewitness to some of the proudest but also darkest moments of Hellenic history, as a series of great empires — Athenian, Macedonian, Roman, Byzantine, Latin, and Ottoman — rose and fell. The story opens in the British Museum, where the Karyatis bemoans the start of yet another day in captivity. She longs to return home to the Acropolis in Athens hence she was forcibly removed. In the Museum we also meet Sophia, an artist living in London and an admirer of the Karyatis whose painting she is working on. Eventually, Sophia and the Karyatis “connect” and a lively “dialogue” ensues between the two…..
- Stealing Athena : May 28, 2008
- First Caryatid moves to the New Acropolis Museum : December 12, 2007
- A new campaign for the return of the Parthenon Marbles : April 24, 2012
- Should Greece be thanking the British Museum? : August 25, 2009
- Photographer & Composer Ares Kalogeropoulos launches video about the Elgin Marbles : April 24, 2012
- If Lord Elgin had visited another country rather than Greece, what would they look like now : August 16, 2012
- How legal was Elgin’s Firman : August 29, 2008
- “Marbles with Attitude” cartoons featured in Greek press : November 29, 2006