November 9, 2013
Michaelle Jean, a former Governor General of Canada, has expressed her support for the return of the Parthenon Sculptures to Greece.
Michaelle Jean: In Favor of the Return of Parthenon Marbles
By Evangelia Kagkelidou on November 7, 2013 In Culture, Politics
Former Governor General of Canada Michaelle Jean is in favor of the return of the Parthenon Marbles.
A very positive step for the promotion of Greek issues through the international organization of Francophonie happened οn Monday during the working lunch at the Acropolis Museum. The Minister of Culture and Sport, Panos Panagiotopoulos, with the former Governor General of Canada Michaelle Jean, who was in Athens to deliver a lecture on “Multiculturalism, Cultural Dialogue and Social Change.”
The former Governor General of Canada reaffirmed its position in favor of the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece. She also expressed her interest to work with the Greek side on Francophonie, of which she is a prominent member. It is even reported that next year at the International Conference in Dakar, she will be prevalent in the position of General Secretary.
As Francophonie has great impact in our country, contacts and good relationships with Mrs Jean already marks an opportunity about the request of the return of the Parthenon Marbles and issues of contemporary Greek culture.
Michaelle Jean who will be welcomed by the President of Greece, Karolos Papoulias, has been named by Unesco as Special Delegate for Haiti; president of the University of Ottawa; president of the Institute of Advanced International Studies at Laval University, and board member of the Toronto Luminato Festival.
- Canada’s Governor General to visit the New Acropolis Museum : November 6, 2009
- Q&A with David Hill followed Parthenon Marbles film screening : November 11, 2014
- Greek & Finnish presidents discuss Elgin Marbles : May 5, 2009
- Greece introduces draft UNESCO resolution on restitution of cultural property to countries of origin : December 18, 2012
- Brazil joins the International Association for the Reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures : May 16, 2006
- Costas Tzavaras, Greece’s new Culture Minister speaks about his plans for the Parthenon Sculptures : August 3, 2012
- Marbles Reunited joins the International Association for the Reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures : November 16, 2008
- The Elgin family busts in Ottawa : October 26, 2011