March 6, 2013
Like a lot of the recent posts I’ve made, this was meant to be posted ages ago, but wasn’t.
Anyway – its interesting, as it indicates that the current Greek government wants to deal seriously with the issue of the Parthenon Marbles. However, it shoudl be noted that this is not an independent committee such as Marbles Reunited or the Australian Committee or many others around the world. This committee is instead more of a steering group – of special advisors to the Minister of culture.
I still believe that there is a need for a Greek Committee – that can get involved with raising the profile of the issue as people, rather than politicians – although I understand that the Greek Government want dealing with the issue within Greece to be seen as an issue entirely handled by the government.
Athens News Agency
>New committee established to press for return of Parthenon Marbles
Last Updated Thursday, 20 September 2012
The culture ministry on Wednesday announced that it will re-establish a special advisory committee to coordinate actions aimed at securing the repatriation of the Parthenon Marbles.
The president of the Melina Mercouri Foundation, Christoforos Argyropoulos, archaeologist Eleni Korka, attorney Irini Stamatoudi, who heads the Intellectual Property Organisation, and foreign ministry representative Panos Kalogeropoulos were listed as members of the committee, announced by Alternate Culture Minister Costas Tzavaras.
“Greece’s moral right is above every objection that is based on arguments aired as mere delay tactics, and aiming to brush aside the basic principle that is universally applied, namely, the necessity of cultural monuments to be repatriated, meaning a return to the place of their origin,” Tzavaras said.
SOURCE: ATHENS NEWS AGENCY
- Greece responds to David Cameron’s comments on the Parthenon Marbles : February 22, 2013
- Greece’s deputy culture minister meets Finnish Committee for Restitution of Parthenon Marbles : April 12, 2012
- Marbles Reunited joins the International Association for the Reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures : November 16, 2008
- Global youth initiative for the return of the Elgin Marbles : June 30, 2009
- Meeting in Athens of committees for the return of the Parthenon Sculptures : November 24, 2005
- Private Greek Citizens group to sue UK in ECHR over Marbles : February 19, 2016
- Costas Tzavaras, Greece’s new Culture Minister speaks about his plans for the Parthenon Sculptures : August 3, 2012
- Promakhos trailer – a fight for the return of the Parthenon Sculptures : February 16, 2014