February 22, 2013
Costas Tzavaras, Greece’s minister responsible for cultural affairs has responded to David Cameron’s comments that he does not support the return of the Elgin Marbles.
Athens Macedonian News Agency: News in English, 13-02-21
Culture minister on Parthenon Marbles issue
AMNA — Greece and the United Kingdom have a different approach on the issue of the Parthenon Marbles, alternate Education Minister responsible for cultural affairs Costas Tzavaras said on Thursday in reply to statements by British Prime Minister David Cameron.
There is a clear “difference in approach and conception separating us (Greece) from the United Kingdom on the issue of the Parthenon Marbles”, he said.
While on a visit to India, Cameron was faced with a demand by the country’s government for the repatriation to India of the 105-carat Koh-i-Noor diamond, which is currently set into the Crown of Queen Elizabeth and is on display at the Tower of London.
The diamond, one of the largest known in the world, is believed to have originated in India’s Andhra Pradesh state.
Rejecting the Indian claim for its return home, the British premier likened the case to that of the Parthenon Marbles, the return of which has been demanded for long time by Greece.amna
Tzavaras stressed that “it is not necessary for us to reiterate anything else on this issue apart from that: Greece’s steadfast national position has been and will always be that the Marbles be repatriated and be materially linked to the place where the civilisation that created them was born and flourished.”
- The Koh-i-noor diamond, the Parthenon Marbles & the Benin Bronzes – three disputed artefact cases : February 24, 2013
- What David Cameron did not apologise for during his trip to India : February 20, 2013
- British Prime Minister’s statements on the Koh-i-Noor diamond : September 29, 2010
- Greece establishes committee to handle Parthenon marbles issue : March 6, 2013
- MP Keith Vaz asks British Government to return the Koh-i-Noor diamond : September 28, 2010
- David Cameron, Modern India, Returnism, the Koh-i-Noor & the Parthenon Sculptures : February 22, 2013
- Could Koh-i-noor diamond be leased back to India? : February 22, 2013
- The Koh-i-noor and promoting Britain’s trade ties with India : February 26, 2013