October 22, 2008
During talks with The British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, Costas Karamanlis, the Greek Prime Minister, has again raised the issue of the Parthenon Marbles. Gordon Brown’s response to the request is not mentioned. This may be the first time that the issue has been raised directly with Gordon Brown, but it has been discussed with Tony Blair on numerous occasions.
Athens News Agency
Karamanlis discusses global crisis with Brown
The Inner Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis will convene on Wednesday to discuss Interior Ministry’s issues. On Tuesday, the impact of the global financial crisis on Europe and the European economies were at the focus of talks between Greek prime minister Costas Karamanlis and his British counterpart Gordon Brown in London.
Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Karamanlis praised Brown’s contribution to the common effort for amelioration of the crisis. He said the primary target of the efforts was to minimize the consequences of the international financial crisis on the lives of the citizens and on the real economy, and particularly on the financially weaker brackets.
“We agreed that the efforts of all of us are and must continue to be concerted, at both European and global level, so as to restore confidence in the credit system and a climate of calm on the markets,” Karamanlis said.
The two prime ministers further discussed bilateral relations, the prospects of the Lisbon Treaty, the situation in the Balkans, and developments in the Cyprus issue.
Karamanlis also took the opportunity to set before Brown Greece’s standing demand for the return of the Parthenon Marbles, the campaign for which will acquire a new momentum with the completion of the state-of-the art New Acropolis Museum.
- Simitis to talk to Blair about the marbles : December 17, 2003
- Greek Prime Minister briefed on New Acropolis Museum : November 16, 2007
- Gordon Brown speaks on the Elgin Marbles : July 21, 2008
- Greek Prime Minister draw parallels between Agora artefact return & Parthenon Marbles : May 8, 2007
- Australia Prime Minister asked for support in recovering Elgin Marbles : May 24, 2007
- British Prime Minister does not want the Elgin Marbles returned : June 23, 2011
- Official Australian support for the return of Elgin Marbles : May 25, 2007
- Greek Prime Minister tours completed New Acropolis Museum site : May 18, 2009