February 18, 2013
Students from the 2nd High School of Corinth have protested at the British Museum for the return of the Elgin Marbles. It appears from the article, as though there was some sort of trouble with the museum staff when they were there. From past experience, the British Museum is happy with protests if they are pre-arranged, but doesn’t like ones that just turn up unexpectedly. The Marbles Reunited campaign has in the past helped to organise protests with Greek schools – dealing with the museum on their behalf to get the correct authorisation & avoiding possible problems with the museum’s security staff.
Students Wave Greek Flag at British Museum
By Christina Flora on February 15, 2013 in news, United Kingdom
Fifteen-year-old students of the 2nd High School of Corinth accompanied by three teachers traveled to London and gave their own message of the Parthenon Marbles waving four Greek flags and shouting the slogan: BRING THEM BACK!
The students delivered 36 letters written in English to the director of the museum in which they explained the factual reasons why the British Museum should return the marbles stolen by Lord Elgin to Greece.
Teachers of the school, C. Roumeliotis, Dimitra Paradisi and Despoina Micholia noted: “Our goal was to sensitize our students to this particular issue in order to embrace the need for the return of all Greek priceless treasures which decorate the Museums of Europe and especially the British Museum. These children have to struggle for the repatriation of our cultural heritage in the future.”
After this incident, the security of the Museum asked the teachers for an explanation. The teachers were ready to face the problem and ready to call the Greek Embassy in London. Finally after the explanations given, there was no problem and they continued their tour in London.
- Greek students campaign for Elgin Marbles to be returned : May 21, 2004
- Greek schoolchildren stage protest outside British Museum : May 6, 2009
- Students protest over Parthenon marbles : February 1, 2007
- Greek children campaign for return of Parthenon Marbles : January 31, 2007
- Protest outside British Museum this Saturday with Cypriot Students Union : October 18, 2012
- US school children make replica of Parthenon frieze : March 20, 2012
- Closure of the Acropolis due to strikes : December 17, 2008
- Swede returns marble to Acropolis : November 12, 2006