February 17, 2014
There have been many polls about the Parthenon Marbles in recent years and only a few have shows anything other than a high level of support for their return. The Guardian recently ran a poll, following the publicity from George Clooney’s statements about the sculptures.
The results speak for themselves – but the end of the two day poll, the web page attracted over 2,500 comments, and the end result of the poll itself showed that 88% of those who took part were in favour of the sculptures being returned. Politicians have a tendency to state that the marbles are a complex issue & that the country is deeply divided over them – the reality though is that nearly everyone supports return – so why can’t they listen to this & respond sensibly to it, by entering into serious negotiations to resolve it?
Wednesday 12 February 2014 11.50 GMT
Is George Clooney correct? Should Britain return the Parthenon marbles?
While promoting his new film Monuments Men, about returning art taken by the Nazis to its rightful owners, George Clooney has said that the UK should give back the Parthenon marbles to Greece. Are you with him?
Should Britain return the Parthenon marbles to Greece?
88% - Yes
12% - No
- George Clooney thinks Britain should return Parthenon Sculptures : February 10, 2014
- Rhodes offers to host Clooney’s wedding in thanks for Parthenon Marbles support : May 3, 2014
- Guardian Elgin Marbles poll results : July 10, 2009
- George Clooney on the Parthenon Marbles : February 11, 2014
- Bill Murray & Matt Damon also support Marbles return : February 11, 2014
- When will UK respond to Parthenon Marbles mediation request : February 25, 2014
- Matt Damon, Bill Murray & George Clooney on Parthenon Marbles : February 16, 2014
- Vote for the reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures : June 24, 2009