August 16, 2012
A new photo campaign aims to draw attention to the plight of the Parthenon Marbles, to illustrate how other famous landmarks around the world might have looked if Lord Elgin had seized artefacts from those locations rather than Athens.
Follow the link to the original article to see the actual images.
If Lord Elgin had visited another country rather than Greece, what would they look like now,
“If Elgin was in …” Rome, London, New York, Paris, etc. …
By Stella Tsolakidou on August 7, 2012
ATHENS – After launching the international “I AM GREEK AND I WANNA GO HOME” independent movement for the repatriation of the stolen Greek sculptures and art, photographer and musician Ares Kalogeropoulos strikes again as an art editor of Alexis Mantheakis’ inspired concept “If Elgin was in …”
The series of pictures shows what would have happened if Lord Elgin had not only been to Athens but to plunder other cities of the world as well. The pictures aim at raising awareness among the public and the authorities about the catastrophe Lord Elgin wraught upon the Parthenon. The British diplomat removed 65 percent of the Parthenon marble sculptures in 1811, which are housed at London’s British Museum.
The Greek artists are attempting to compare the Greek monument’s looting to what could have been inflicted on other major sites and statues around the world, if their most treasured possessions had been stolen. The last picture depicts the Parthenon in its current state and the caption reads “…but Elgin went to Athens”.
- Making a grand gresture by returning the Elgin Marbles : July 10, 2009
- The New Acropolis Museum – a home for all the Parthenon Sculptures : December 7, 2009
- Reinterpretation of the Parthenon Sculptures : May 24, 2010
- New video about Parthenon Marbles – I Am Greek and I Want to Go Home : August 14, 2012
- Photographer & Composer Ares Kalogeropoulos launches video about the Elgin Marbles : April 24, 2012
- Greek Australians want the British Museum to return the Parthenon Marbles : April 24, 2012
- Elgin Marbles poll by the New Statesman : October 27, 2006
- Why should the Greeks build a statue of Lord Elgin in Athens? : July 1, 2009