May 12, 2006
Eddie O’Hara, a Labour MP & chair of the Marbles Reunited campaign for the reunification of the Parthenon Marbles in Athens has tabled an EDM relating to the issue.
This EDM focuses on the formation of the International Association for the Reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures.
This is the second EDM tabled this year relating to the Elgin Marbles, a sign that many in parliament see it as an important issue which should be addressed.
Eddie O’Hara also tabled an EDM about the marbles in July of last year.
Early Day Motion
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR THE REUNIFICATION OF THE PARTHENON SCULPTURES
That this House welcomes the establishment of the International Association for the Reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures, a federation of national associations from around the world which share the goal of reuniting the world’s surviving Parthenon sculptures in the new Acropolis Museum in Athens; agrees that the Parthenon is one of the world’s finest surviving ancient monuments as attested by its status as a UNESCO World Heritage Site; further agrees that over 100 pieces of the sculptures and architectural elements of the Parthenon currently on display in the Duveen Gallery of the British Museum are exhibited in a spurious configuration divorced from their proper architectural and compositional context; further agrees that the continued insistence of the British Museum that the sculptures should remain in London is at odds with British and world public opinion which overwhelmingly supports the reunification of the surviving Parthenon sculptures in Athens, and wholly counter to the fast growing spirit of international co-operation over the location and display of disputed museum objects; notes that more people now visit the Acropolis than the Duveen Gallery; and joins with the International Association for the Reunification of the Parthenon sculptures in calling upon the British Museum and the Government to respond to the Greek government’s offer of collaboration between the two museums for the reunification of the Parthenon sculptures and their ultimate display in the new Acropolis Museum, thus making them available to the maximum number of people in their optimum artistic context.
The following MPs have signed this EDM so far:
- O’Hara, Edward
- Meale, Alan
- MacNeil, Angus
- Llwyd, Elfyn
- Dismore, Andrew
- Lepper, David
- Jones, Lynne
- Breed, Colin
- Caton, Martin
- Clapham, Michael
- George, Andrew
- Wareing, Robert N
- Illsley, Eric
- Marris, Rob
- McCafferty, Chris
- Campbell, Ronnie
- Flynn, Paul
- Vis, Rudi
- Elgin Marbles Early Day Motion : February 5, 2006
- Marbles Reunited joins the International Association for the Reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures : November 16, 2008
- International declaration on the Parthenon Sculptures : March 25, 2006
- New Acropolis Museum Early Day Motion : March 1, 2009
- Early Day Motion on the Parthenon Marbles : July 25, 2005
- Brazil joins the International Association for the Reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures : May 16, 2006
- International Association for the Reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures holds meeting in Athens : June 21, 2009
- House of Commons Early Day Motion to highlight recent developments relating to Parthenon Marbles return : November 8, 2012