December 6, 2011
There will be a lecture in Sydney about excavations made last summer of the ship, the Mentor, that carried some of the Elgin Marbles from Greece to the UK.
Public Lecture, Wreck of the Mentor: The Mentor shipwreck, its cargo of Parthenon Marbles, 1800’s salvage and 2011 excavation
In 1802 the small brig Mentor was wrecked on the island of Kythera, Greece. Its stated cargo consisted of 17 crates of the Parthenon Marbles en-route from Piraeus to England via Malta. Over the next two years Lord Elgin spent a small fortune recovering the Marbles using Greek sponge divers. It was long suspected however that there were other undocumented antiquities aboard the vessel which were not recovered. Previous archaeological investigations had been inconclusive.
In July an excavation led by Dr. Kourkoumelis of the Ephorate of Marine Antiquities, Ministry of Culture & Tourism, Greece with three Australian volunteers recovered a number of ancient coins as well as personal items belonging to the crew. The similarities of the Mentor wreck-site with the Queensland wrecks of the HMS Pandora (1792) and Foam (1893) contributed to the decision to excavate in the area most likely to contain the long anticipated antiquities.
The talk is being generously supported by the Kytherian Association of Australia, in conjunction with the Sydney Friends of the Australian Archaeological Institute at Athens. Excavations have been supported by the Nicholas Anthony Aroney Trust & Kytherian Association of Australia. Refreshments are being sponsored by Fardoulis Chocolates. www.choc.com.au.
New Law School Building
Eastern Avenue, University of Sydney
Wednesday, 7 December 2011, 7pm for a 7:30pm start
by Cos Coroneos and John Fardoulis
For more information about the Mentor project see: http://www.krg.org.au/mentor
Cost: A five dollar donation to the project would be appreciated!
- Elgin’s artefacts that got lost in transit : November 23, 2012
- Wreck of the Mentor that carried Elgin Marbles excavated off coast of Kythera : March 17, 2012
- More on the finds related to Lord Elgin and the Parthenon sculptures during excavations of the Mentor shipwreck off Kythera : November 27, 2012
- Divers explore the wreck of ship that carried the Elgin Marbles from Greece : March 16, 2012
- Excavating the wreck of the Mentor – Lord Elgin’s ship that carried the Parthenon Marbles : July 20, 2012
- New South Wales Premier expresses support for the return of the Elgin Marbles : May 23, 2007
- Return to the Parthenon – a new fiction book about the Parthenon Marbles : October 17, 2012
- New South Wales premier supports return of Parthenon Marbles : January 23, 2011