September 12, 2012
The Young Archaeologists Club has a poll on their website over whether the British Museum ought to return the Elgin Marbles to Greece.
YAC’s Parthenon Sculptures Vote!
Submitted by Nicky Milsted on Tue, 2012-09-04 11:09
What are the Parthenon Sculptures?
The Parthenon Sculptures are sometimes called the Elgin Marbles because they were brought to Britain by Lord Elgin. The sculptures come from the famous Parthenon temple, which is part of the Acropolis in Athens. The Ancient Greeks began building the temple in 447BC.
Around half of the sculptures were destroyed in ancient times, before Lord Elgin arrived at the Parthenon. Of the remaining sculptures, about 50% are now in the British Museum, where they have been on display since 1817. Most of the rest are in the New Acropolis Museum in Athens.
Some people want all of the remaining sculptures to be together in Athens – others believe that the British Museum collection should stay in London.
We want to know what you think! So please do vote in our online poll above.
We’d love to know why you think what you think! Email us your comments about the Parthenon Sculptures
To find out more about the Parthenon Sculptures and the arguments for and against returning the British Museum collection to Greece, check out pages 4 and 5 in Issue 153 of Young Archaeologist magazine.
You can also see a debate about the sculptures, and read more about them by clicking here
Young Archaeologist magazine is the exclusive magazine for YAC members. Find out how to join YAC UK by clicking here!
- Guardian Elgin Marbles poll results : July 10, 2009
- Elgin Marbles poll by the New Statesman : October 27, 2006
- Museums Association Poll – Should the Parthenon Marbles be returned to Greece : June 2, 2012
- Vote for the reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures : June 24, 2009
- Guardian Poll shows that more than 17 out of every 20 people support return of Marbles : February 17, 2014
- Vote to return Parthenon Marbles – in Athens airport : December 3, 2014
- AVAAZ petition for the Parthenon Marbles to be reunited in Athens – Help us get 1000 signatures : June 2, 2012
- New opinion poll shows increase in support for return of Parthenon Marbles : October 15, 2002