July 10, 2012
Amongst supporters of the return of the Parthenon Marbles, opinion is heavily divided over whether legal action is likely to be a successful way to resolve the situation. Italy has had a lot of success with such an approach in resent years – despite the fact that not many cases end up going to trial, it shows that the request is a serious one & encourages the parties to enter into proper negotiations rather than ignoring the issue.
Greek-Australians to File Appeal Against Britain for the Restoration of the Parthenon Marbles
By Areti Kotseli on June 26, 2012 in News
In collaboration with special committees dedicated to the cause across the world, Greek-Australians are prepared to file a lawsuit against Great Britain with regards to the return of the Parthenon Marbles. Greeks of the Diaspora are trying hard to press the British government to return these valuable examples of Greece’s stolen cultural heritage.
The announcement was made during the London International Colloquy on the matter. Undisclosed evidence advancing the existing ethical and legal argument for the return of the marbles was presented during the colloquy, where three campaigning organizations for the Parthenon Marbles from the UK, USA and Australia convened in a historic unified effort.
Among the attorneys dealing with the appeal is Greek-American Michael Repas, Giorgos Bizos from S. Africa ( Nelson Mandela’s lawyer as well) and Greek-Australian Victor Bizanis.
Bizanis expressed the view that the Greek defense should be represented by successful London-based Australian lawyer Jeffry Robertson, who has won a trial for the Aborigines of Tasmania in the past.
- Australian AHEPA initiative for legal action to secure the return of the Elgin Marbles : November 14, 2010
- The legal arguments for the return of the Parthenon Marbles : October 16, 2012
- Postponement of Aboriginal remains legal battle : February 25, 2007
- Tasmanian artefact returns hoped to be the first of many : September 7, 2006
- Could a legal challenge in the English courts secure the return of the Parthenon Marbles? : September 16, 2010
- Turkish lawers file suit against British Museum : August 2, 2005
- Former Getty Museum Curator Marion True’s trial in Italy comes to an end (but with no verdict) : November 16, 2010
- Aboriginal bones go home : May 12, 2007