October 2, 2014
I was fortunate enough to see a preview screening of Promakhos a few months ago. It is now going to be possible for the public to see it, in both Sydney & Melbourne as part of the Greek Film Festival.
The Sydney screening will be followed with a Q&A session with David Hill, chair of the International Association of the Parthenon Sculptures.
Greek Film Festival
CLOSING NIGHT EVENT: Promakhos
Greece/USA/UK, 2014, 91mins (Drama)
Director Coerte Voorhees and John Voorhees
Someone needs to stand up for Greece, make a case for her…”
For over two centuries, the legality behind the removal of the Parthenon Marbles from the Acropolis has been the subject of much controversy and passionate debate. Very credible cases against the British Museum have been put forward by a number of lawyers – including the father of this film’s makers – however, Greek governments have steered clear of any involvement.
In a highly charged and dramatic fashion, this film looks at a hypothetical scenario when two Athenian attorneys (Pantelis Kodogiannis and Kassandra Voyagis) pursue litigation against the British Museum to return these classical Greek sculptures to their rightful home. Their efforts are fraught with difficulties, including the social destabilisation of the economic crisis plaguing Athens, yet through the pursuit of these artefacts, the spirit of Athina is reinvigorated.
At its heart, Promakhos is an epic love story about the test of true love through sacrifice.
Written by Coerte and John Voorhees
Produced by Coerte and John Voorhees
Cast: Pantelis Kodogiannis, Kassandra Voyagis, Giancarlo Giannini, Georges Corraface, Michael Byrne, Yorgo Voyagis
About the Director:
John and Coerte Voorhees are the sons of a US-based lawyer, also called John, who has been an active campaigner for the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Athens. Promakhos is their first film.
Sunday 2 November, 7:00 pm
Tickets at General Admission Prices
Followed by Q&A with David Hill, founder and chairman of the Association for the Reunification of the Parthenon Marbles.
Sunday 2 November, 7:00 pm
Includes Closing Night Party.
- Promakhos depicts a legal case for return of Parthenon Marbles : November 24, 2014
- Q&A with David Hill followed Parthenon Marbles film screening : November 11, 2014
- Promakhos – a movie about the Parthenon Marbles, Justice & Greece : February 6, 2014
- Preview screening of Promakhos – a film about the Parthenon Marbles : July 22, 2014
- Promakhos trailer – a fight for the return of the Parthenon Sculptures : February 16, 2014
- See Greek Geordie comedian George Zach in London : November 13, 2015
- Lecture in Melbourne on the restitution of the Parthenon Marbles : March 29, 2012
- Discussions on the Elgin Marbles : July 20, 2006