April 29, 2014
A followup to the earlier post about Dusan Sidjanski’s talk on the Parthenon Marbles.
Swiss Committee on the Return of the Parthenon Marbles
Apr 19, 2014
The president of the Swiss Committee for the Return of the Parthenon Marbles, Professor Dusan Sidjanski, during the event titled “Europe and the Parthenon Marbles: a common cause,” stressed the need for return of the marbles to Greece.
In his speech, Dr. Sidjianski referred to the Swiss Committee’s concern for the legal claim of the return of the Parthenon Marbles, stressing that this is considered a European issue which needs to be resolved through dialogue between the European institutions as well as through informing the public and especially Britain.
Moreover, he stressed that the demand of the Parthenon Marbles’ return is a unique case which concerns the integrity of a symbolic monument that has been dismembered.
A similar event took place at the University of Geneva, where speakers referred to the specificity of the request concerning the return of the Marbles as well as to the ways of resolving cultural differences and the proposal of the Swiss Committee for a mutually acceptable solution to the issue was widely supported.
The event at Zurich University was attended by many scientists and archaeologists. On behalf of Greece, the Greek ambassador Charalambos Manessis was also present.
The events were organized in support of the Committee’s effort to broaden available information on the issue of the return of the Parthenon Marbles and to strengthen the cooperation and support of the Swiss-German speaking area.
- Round table discussion on: The reunification of the Parthenon Marbles – a European concern : October 11, 2013
- Talk in Zurich on the Parthenon Marbles : March 27, 2014
- Press coverage of the Round Table on the Parthenon Marbles at the European Parliament : October 19, 2013
- Elgin Marbles lecture in Switzerland : June 12, 2009
- Finnish event in suport of the reunification of the Elgin Marbles : May 7, 2009
- A common European cultural agenda : November 19, 2007
- EU declares Acropolis as top cultural heritage monument : March 27, 2007
- Greek & Finnish presidents discuss Elgin Marbles : May 5, 2009