August 16, 2013
Outside Greece, Melina Mercouri is famous first for her career as an actress, but next to that, as a campaigner for the return of the Parthenon Sculptures whilst she was minister of culture during the 1980s.
The The Cultural Organization of Prespes is presenting a tribute to the late actress – I don’t have any other details of it, but I would imagine that her passion for the reunification of the Parthenon Marbles will play a part in it.
Prespeia 2013 Tribute To Mercouri
By Nicky Mariam Onti on August 14, 2013
The Cultural Organization of Prespes, the Melina Mercouri Foundation and ADaM Productions of Badminton Theater are presenting the performance, Melina – Wherever I Travel To, Greece, on Aug. 23-24 a tribute to the late actress and former Culture Minister Melina Mercouri, who fought to have the stolen Parthenon Marbles returned from the British Museum.
The premier of the performance is to take place at the Prespeia International Festival and will then be as well presented at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus on Sept. 7.
With reference to the most important stages of her life, songs, theatrical and cinema roles, moments of her actions and struggles, the performance highlights the mark she left on the Greek cultural heritage.
The musical part of the tribute is curated by leading composer and Melina’s collaborator, Stavros Xarchakos. Elli Paspala and Iro Saia will sing Melina’s songs.
Maria Nafpliotou adds voice and soul to Mercour’s phrases together with Yannis Stankoglu, revealing aspects of a controversial, misunderstood and free woman who loved Greece.
Through many interviews and texts written about Mercouri, the poet Stratis Paschalis composed an original single act play. Sofia Spiratou is the director and choreographer of the performance.
- Alexis Bistikas & the Parthenon Marbles : November 21, 2005
- Jules Dassin dies at ninety six : March 31, 2008
- Celebrating International Museum Day at the New Acropolis Museum in Athens : May 11, 2012
- Parthenon Marbles exhibition in Frankfurt : January 16, 2006
- Free admission & special events for International Museums Day : May 17, 2013
- Death of Jules Dassin, Long term supporter of the Parthenon Marbles Reunification : March 31, 2008
- President Papoulias briefed on campaign to return Elgin Marbles : November 19, 2005
- Melina Mercouri Foundation creator dies : April 1, 2008