March 13, 2014
Last year, some had noted that the New Acropolis Museum’s visitor numbers had declined since its first months of opening.
It appears now that this may be changing, as the November 2013 figures just released indicate a 14% increase from the previous year.
Thursday March 13, 2014
More visitors at Greek museums, archaeological sites
The number of visitors at Greek museums was up by 2.4 percent in November 2013, while the cultural institutions saw a 0.6 percent increase in their receipts compared to the same month the previous year, a Hellenic Statistical Authority (ELSTAT) report revealed on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, although the number of visitors at archaeological sites recorded an increase of 4 percent in November 2013, the respective receipts recorded a decrease of 1.4 percent in comparison to the same period last year.
The survey noted that during the first 11 months of 2013 there was a 14.9 percent increase in the number of visitors at museums coupled with a 13.8 percent rise in the respective receipts compared to 2012. The number of visitors at sites was also on the rise during the same time, up by 22.3 percent from the previous year, with the corresponding receipts rising by 16.6 percent.
The ELSTAT report observed that the Acropolis Museum hosted 77,855 visitors in November 2013, compared to 64,056 visitors the previous year, marking an increase of 1.4 percent.
At the same time fewer people visited the Acropolis of Athens in November 2013. According to the ELSTAT report 64,056 visitors toured the landmark Athenian site in November 2013, compared to 77,855 visitors in 2012, marking a 17.7 percent drop.
- New Acropolis Museum is most popular museum in Greece : August 16, 2013
- Greek museum visitor numbers increase in 2014 : November 15, 2014
- New Acropolis Museum leads rise in Greek Museum visitor numbers for 2009 : June 8, 2010
- Greek museum visitor figures increases : January 21, 2007
- Half a million people visit New Acropolis Museum in first two months of opening : September 1, 2009
- The New Acropolis Museum is Greece’s most popular tourist site : November 28, 2011
- Rise in Acropolis visitor numbers : August 13, 2005
- Summer opening hours for Acropolis Museum : April 3, 2014