November 24, 2009
Various Australian MPs with Greek origins are campaigning to raise awareness of the campaign to reunify the surviving Parthenon Sculptures in Athens.
AUSTRALIAN POLITICIANS TAKE ACTION ON RETURN OF PARTHENON SCULPTURES
The annual meeting of the World Hellenic Inter-Parliamentary Association (WHIA – Oceania Region) in Perth resolved to increase public awareness of the issue of the return of the Parthenon Sculptures from the British Museum to Greece, said WHIA President, John Pandazopoulos MP.
Mr Pandazopoulos said that the opening of the new Acropolis Museum removes a major obstacle in Britain’s argument that there was no suitable venue to exhibit the famous sculptures.
Australian MP’s of Greek heritage met in the Parliament of Western Australia – Perth on the eve of the Conference of the Australian Branch of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) and were united on this important issue.
The WHIA Oceania region will commence its campaign by taking the opportunity to raise the issue with MP’s from around Australia, who are meeting at the CPA Conference in Perth.
Brochures and representations were made as a prelude to the campaign to engage all Australian MP’s in the ultimate goal of restoring the sculptures to their rightful home, said George Souris MP, the Oceania regional representative attending the Conference in Perth.
The WHIA is also seeking to extend its campaign by raising awareness amongst other Philhellenes within the Australian-Oceania region.
Contact: Hon. John Pandazopoulos, MP. – 0408 310733
Hon. George Souris MP. – 0427 241528
- International colloquy in London on the reunification of the Parthenon Marbles : March 13, 2012
- Greeks from Australia to ask British Museum to return Elgin Marbles : April 16, 2012
- Australian Prime Minister supports Greek calls for return of Parthenon Marbles : May 24, 2007
- Australian AHEPA initiative for legal action to secure the return of the Elgin Marbles : November 14, 2010
- Discussions on the Elgin Marbles : July 20, 2006
- Mock Trial : Greece vs UK – The Parthenon Sculptures : September 9, 2016
- Marbles Reunited joins the International Association for the Reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures : November 16, 2008
- Global youth initiative for the return of the Elgin Marbles : June 30, 2009