June 19, 2013
In my mind, I have a picture of the Acropolis Museum celebrating its birthday – perhaps in a big party to which all the other museums are invited. Each year, it excitedly waits in hope of a giant cake in the shape of the Elgin Marbles – but it never arrives & it is left to celebrate on its own, hoping that the next year will be better.
Don’t get me wrong – it is still an amazing museum & should be on the itinerary of any visitor to Athens. But, to jump back to the previous analogy, if it was a cake, it would only have half the icing on – there are patches everywhere with no icing, and everyone wonders when these bits will be finished.
Acropolis Museum’s 4th Anniversary
By Christina Flora on June 18, 2013
The Acropolis Museum opened its gates when the great economic crisis started affecting Greece. But it had the luck to be embraced by the Greek and international public, giving it the chance to operate for four years without public subsidy.
The Acropolis Museum celebrates its fourth birthday with optimism for the future. On Thursday, June 20, the exhibition venue and the restaurant will remain open from 8am to midnight, while admission will be reduced to three euros for everyone.
Visitors to the museum will have the opportunity to discover along with the museum’s archaeology – carers, the hidden stories of the surviving blocks of the frieze with three-dimensional presentations on specific screens that will be placed in the Parthenon Gallery.
On the same evening, at 9 p.m., the Philharmonic Wind Orchestra of Athens will take visitors in the courtyard on a musical tour with beloved melodies from the world repertoire.
Furthermore, the Museum will launch in its shops two commemorative copies of sculptures, the head of Poseidon and the head of Artemis from the east frieze of the Parthenon.
- Fourth birthday for New Acropolis Museum – but when will it get its star exhibit? : June 17, 2013
- The New Acropolis Museum’s first birthday : August 28, 2010
- Metope Of The Annunciation goes on display in the Acropolis Museum : April 24, 2012
- Images of the New Acropolis Museum : June 19, 2009
- New Acropolis Museum to celebrate third birthday on 20th June with musical performances & late opening : June 16, 2012
- Greek Archaeological sites open late for full moon on August 21 : August 16, 2013
- Late opening & free entry at the Acropolis Museum tonight : August 21, 2013
- A reintroduction to the New Acropolis Museum two years on : January 31, 2012