November 28, 2011
On certain days, the New Acropolis Museum is aiming to put on special events, to encourage families to spend their entire days there.
Wednesday April 13, 2011 (20:54)
Acropolis Museum invites visitors for an all-day experience
The Acropolis Museum is launching a new initiative starting on the weekend of April 16 and 17, inviting visitors, and families especially, to spend the day there indulging in a series of activities.
These include archaeology-themed games for the entire family, a screening on the history of the Acropolis, the opportunity to watch restorers work on sculptural artifacts and presentations based on the exhibits. Other perks in the “Day at the Acropolis Museum” pack include a special menu at the restaurant and a discount on items purchased at the gift shops.
One of the games designed for families is a treasure hunt in which visitors will be asked to identify 12 displays by reading up on their history and characteristics. The game incorporates a new virtual tour, “Athena — The Goddess of the Acropolis” (www.acropolis-athena.gr), which presents visitors with the deity’s various manifestations.
Over at the restaurant, special healthy meals will be prepared for children, while opening hours have been extended on Fridays until midnight in order to serve visitors taking advantage of the museum proper’s late 10 p.m. closing.
Another new feature at the Acropolis Museum is the addition of a reading room on the second floor and a library with titles related to the history of the Acropolis and Athens.
For more information, visit www.theacropolismuseum.gr or call 210.900.0900.
- New Acropolis Museum restaurant to stay open during strike action : November 16, 2010
- Special events at the New Acropolis Museum for International Museum Day : May 17, 2012
- Free admission & special events for International Museums Day : May 17, 2013
- Longer opening hours for Greek museums during Olympics : June 15, 2004
- Fourth birthday for New Acropolis Museum – but when will it get its star exhibit? : June 17, 2013
- Art courses at the New Acropolis Museum : January 15, 2013
- The Acropolis Museum – A Greek success story four years on : June 19, 2013
- Celebrating International Museum Day at the New Acropolis Museum in Athens : May 11, 2012