March 6, 2015
Australian Aboriginal activist, Dr Gary Edward Foley gave a talk about the restitution of the Parthenon Marbles yesterday, comparing the restitution of Aboriginal cultural artefacts to the ongoing campaign for the return of the Parthenon Marbles.
Aboriginal Activist to Give Lecture on Parthenon Marbles’ Return
by Ioanna Zikakou
Mar 4, 2015
Starting this Thursday, the 2015 Greek History and Culture Seminar series, organized by the Greek Community of Melbourne for the fifth consecutive year, will take place in the community’s new building. The seminars’ inaugural lecture is on March 5 with Aboriginal activist Dr Gary Edward Foley and Greek-Australian University of Melbourne professor Nikos Papastergiadis.
During his speech, Foley will focus on the recovery of cultural heritage and the return of Aboriginal antiquities, alongside the Parthenon Marbles case. This will be the first time that an Aboriginal will present his speech before the Greek Community of Melbourne.
Foley is an associate professor at Moondani Balluk Indigenous Academic Unit. He was born in Grafton, New South Wales, and he belongs to the Gumbainggir tribe. He was expelled from school at the age of 15 and then moved to Sydney. He has been in the center of several major political activities in Australia, including several demonstrations for Aboriginal’s rights, as well as the establishing of the Aboriginal Tent Embassy in Canberra.
Papastergiadis, who will introduce Foley, is a professor at the University of Melbourne School of Culture and Communication.
The seminars are free and open to the public, and this year will take place in the new building of the Greek Community of Melbourne.
- Lecture in Melbourne on the restitution of the Parthenon Marbles : March 29, 2012
- Aboriginal protests over plundered artefacts in British Museum : April 20, 2015
- Australian AHEPA initiative for legal action to secure the return of the Elgin Marbles : November 14, 2010
- Lecture at Charles Darwin University on the Elgin Marbles : April 29, 2008
- Mock Trial : Greece vs UK – The Parthenon Sculptures : September 9, 2016
- Professor Simon Critchley says that the Parthenon Marbles should return to Athens : August 19, 2013
- Australian government should have consulted Aborigines : April 6, 2006
- Scotland gives up Aboriginal Skull : January 21, 2008