November 16, 2012
Two years after the agreement to return artefacts was made, and many years after Peru first started petitioning for their return, the final artefacts from Yale University’s Peabody Museum have returned to Machu Picchu. These final artefacts form the last part of an extensive restitution process of over 35,000 items that has been happening over the last year an a half.
13 November 2012 Last updated at 03:05
United States returns to Peru last Machu Picchu artefacts
The last of the artefacts taken from Machu Picchu by American archaeologist who rediscovered the Inca citadel have been returned to Peru.
More than 35,000 pottery fragments and other pieces were flown from Yale University to the Andean city of Cusco.
They had been taken to the US by archaeologist Hiram Bingham, who brought the site to international attention in 1911.
The move completes a deal signed in 2010, following legal action by Peru.
It argued that Bingham had only been loaned the artefacts.
The American archaeologist and historian took to Yale some 46,000 ceramics, bone fragments and metal pieces.
The first and second lots of artefacts arrived back in Peru last year.
The best pieces will now be on display in a newly built museum in nearby Cusco.
The citadel of Machu Picchu, located 2,500m (8,200ft) above sea level, was built in the 15th Century by the Incas.
It is Peru’s main tourist attraction, attracting more than 1 million visitors a year.
- Peru welcomes back Inca artefacts : November 17, 2011
- New museum in Cusco to house returned Peruvian Inca artefacts from Yale University : January 25, 2011
- Peru’s president demands that Yale University returns Inca artefacts taken from Machu Picchu : November 15, 2010
- Cusco Students are pleased with the agreement with Yale University over Inca artefacts : January 13, 2011
- The Peru / Yale agreement : September 16, 2007
- Centre for Study of Machu Picchu and Inca Culture opens as joint venture between Peru & Yale : October 6, 2011
- Yale University’s Peabody Museum to return Peruvian artefacts : December 14, 2010
- Agreement on return of Inca Treasures to Peru : February 22, 2011