January 25, 2011
A new museum is being created in a manor house in Cusco to house the Inca artefacts that are being returned to Peru by Yale University. The artefacts will begin to be displayed in July 2011, marking the 100th anniversary of the discovery of the ancient citadel of Machu Picchu by explorer Hiram Bingham.
New Museum to House Inca Archaeological Pieces Returned By Yale University
By Stephen 16/12/2010 18:01:00
The Casa Concha, a manor house in the heart of Cusco, will house the archaeological pieces soon to be returned by Yale University
The objects will be on display from July 2011 which marks the 100th anniversary of Hiram Bingham’s scientific discovery of the Inca citadel.
The rector of the National University of San Antonio Abad, Victor Aguilar, and Yale commissioner archaeologist Richard Burger said that some 363 pieces will be exhibited in that place, which is almost completely restored and that has 70 comparments.
“Restoration is almost complete. We expect to have here the 46,000 pieces that will return before 2012, which is why we’ll knock on the doors of experts and institutions in order to guarantee the objects and have them in good care,” said Aguilar.
After the inspection, the premises will be equipped with the technical support of experts from Yale with the objective of installing showcases, a system security to control dampness.
Lucy Salazar, Peruvian anthropologist who works at Yale, also indicated that the Concha manor house is favorable for the conservation of the archaeological pieces (ceramics, bones, stones and metals).
- Centre for Study of Machu Picchu and Inca Culture opens as joint venture between Peru & Yale : October 6, 2011
- Final Machu Picchu artefacts returned to Peru by Yale University : November 16, 2012
- Yale University’s Peabody Museum to return Peruvian artefacts : December 14, 2010
- Yale makes agreement to return Machu Picchu artefacts to Peru : April 26, 2011
- The artefacts from Yale arrive back in the highlands of Peru : March 19, 2012
- Agreement on return of Inca Treasures to Peru : February 22, 2011
- Peru welcomes back Inca artefacts : November 17, 2011
- Cusco Students are pleased with the agreement with Yale University over Inca artefacts : January 13, 2011