November 23, 2012
The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus was one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. It is now in the British Museum in London and groups in Turkey have for some time campaigned for its return.
You can add your signature to their petition here.
Hurriyet Daily News
Campaign started for relic
ISTANBUL – Hürriyet Daily News
A digital signature campaign has been initiated ahead of a lawsuit that will be opened at the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) in January for the return to Turkey of the Halicarnassus Mausoleum.
According to a written statement, several artists have signed the campaign on the website www.askinmabedi.com. The signatures will be collected as part of the lawsuit lawyer Remzi Kazmaz will file, with 30 other lawyers, at the ECHR on Jan. 30.
A documentary film about the event will also be included in the lawsuit. Directed by Kazmaz, the 32-minute film “Aşkın Mabedi-Maussolleion” is the story of the ancient treasure being taken out of Turkey.
The film, which also has an English version, will be viewed by ECHR officials as well as sold in music stores across Turkey. The mausoleum is one of the Seven Wonders of the World and is currently located at the British Museum.
- Turkish lawers file suit against British Museum : August 2, 2005
- Turkey seeks return of Halicarnasus mausoleum pieces : March 6, 2013
- Documentary on Mausoleum of Halicarnassus : April 15, 2006
- Bodrum’s claims for restitution : November 15, 2006
- Turkey using Human Rights law in its attempts to secure artefact return : March 8, 2013
- Turkish compaigners may go to European Court of Human Rights over Mausoleum of Halicarnassus in British Museum : December 17, 2012
- Should stolen treasures be returned to Turkey? : February 26, 2005
- Turkey versus the Louvre – Ankara’s artefact restitution attempts continue : February 27, 2013