June 27, 2005
After the Feldmann case highlighted the need for reform of the British Museum Act, Andrew Dismore MP, a long time supporter of the return of the Parthenon Marbles has asked DCMS about when the act will be reformed.
Written Answers to Questions
Tuesday 14 June 2005
British Museum Act
Mr. Dismore: To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport if she will bring forward amendments to the British Museum Act 1963 following the judgment of the High Court in the case of works of art formerly owned by Arthur Feldman and now in the British Museum; and if she will make a statement.
Mr. Lammy [Minister for Culture in the Department of Culture, Media and Sport]: We are carefully considering the recent recommendation of the Spoliation Advisory Panel that legislation should be introduced to permit the return of items where possession was lost during the Nazi era. The Vice Chancellor’s judgment of 27 May provides clarity in this important area and will contribute to our consideration of the Panel’s recommendation.
- Parliamentary bill on Nazi-looted art : April 23, 2009
- British government asks for opinions on returning Nazi loot : July 12, 2006
- Changing the law on looted artefacts : November 24, 2009
- More details on Feldmann case resolution : April 29, 2006
- Nazi loot in UK set to be returned : July 13, 2009
- Verdict reached on the Feldmann case : May 27, 2005
- Changes to the law planned following Feldmann case : August 2, 2005
- British MP campaigns to allow museum deaccessioning : July 25, 2008